Home Forums General Technical Help 105 e carb

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  brianw 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

CHRIS BANTING
    Participant
    Club Member

Webcom have suggested the fiesta 1100 carb type 34ICH will work on my bog standard 997, however they did say to come on to the forum for clarification, anyone fitted this carb with good results?

Thanks

JAN
    Participant

Would it fit on the manifold? A second point is that the 105E engine is mounted longitudinally while the Fiesta is transverse, which alters the surge characteristics under braking and acceleration. Mazda found this out when they took the 323 from rear to front wheel drive but retained the same carburettor.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

.  So it seems the 34ICH  is available with different diameter venturi   25mm  suggested  for 1100-1300 cc engines.   (27mm for 1500 & 29mm 2100cc engines)  is its a little large for 997?

This link  https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/genuine-weber-34-ich-carbcarburettor-25mm-venturi    And its attached PDF  https://classiccarbs.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/34ICH-Manual.pdf   shows what it looks like & gives dimensions.  . It seems to have an electric connection on it, whats that for?

But that doesn’t help with ” how well will it work?  What gas mileage does it give”  .   It would be good to have a reliable source for new carbs .

peteleo
    Participant

. “It seems to have an electric connection on it, whats that for?”

That’s for the cut-off solenoid for the idle jet.  It avoids engine run-on when the ignition is turned off. Mostly common on larger Weber carbs.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Venturi of 25 mm diameter has area 490mm , The 997cc solex  venturi 22mm, area 380mm . A big change to area ! So a smaller opening of the butterfly give the same airflow.  Does this affect the vacuum for a given airflow, & thus reduce the vacuum advance you get at the dizzy?  The advance curve was all worked out by Ford for 4 Star petrol , so may be imperfect anyway.

There weber video on youtube saying beware of  fake webers, with comments saying ” my fake weber runs fine”.

Is a change of carb something you need to declare  as “modified” for insurance companies?

member2617
    Participant

Any change like that is classed as an ‘enhancement/modification/performance/upgrade’. Some insurance companies class a sticker as a modification…

CHRIS BANTING
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks for your comments gents – still not convinced its the right choice though.

Does anyone know of a really good carb for sale, needs to have the circular ball rather than the sloted throttle connection though please.

Darknight
    Participant

Got one in Canada if you like…

20 GBP For it?

Shipping options include..

Surface (By Boat, Up to 2 Months to Arrive) 15 GBP
    By Plane (Up to 7-10 Days) 30 GBP

Might still need a cleanup, haven’t tested it.

CHRIS BANTING
    Participant
    Club Member

Thankyou for the offer Darknight – I am after NOS or brand new alternative ideally.

thanks anyway

Darknight
    Participant

Anytime. I shall find it a home one of these days.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Mine carb is suffering from wobble in the main butterfly bearings, which I believe makes the tickover worse. ( tricky to fix as both the shaft & the holes are oval)

Is  this carb the  997cc    (21.5mm throat) or 1200cc (23mm throat )  ..  I would be interested if it was the latter & has good bearings.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.