Home Forums General Technical Help Changing front wheel bearings.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Denman Ken 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Denman Ken
    Participant
    Club Member

I am seeking advice on how to change the front wheel bearings on my saloon deluxe unmodified. Any help please? Many thanks Ken.

JAN
    Participant

After removing the drum and prising out the grease seal, the inner and outer tracks must be drifted out using a hammer and drift passed through the middle of the drum. The new tracks must also be hammered in – taking care not to strike the running surfaces. A suitable sized socket slightly smaller than the outside of each track is recommended, and it is essential that the tracks are driven fully home up against their seatings within the hub. Both track and bearings must be greased, which needs to be well worked into the the rollers themselves, not merely smeared over the top. The inner bearing is dropped into the drum and the seal lightly tapped into place, a smear of grease should be applied to its inner face.

The drum and outer bearing can be fitted to the car. Use a socket (15/16″ AF) HELD IN THE HAND to tighten the hub nut as afar as you can turn it, then install a new 1/8″ split pin. If the split pin won’t go in because the holes are not in line, LOOSEN the nut slightly until a hole is in line, then fit the pin.

peteleo
    Participant

Also, it’s essential to pack the space in the hub between the two bearings with grease.

Denman Ken
    Participant
    Club Member

many thanks for your advice. Ken

Denman Ken
    Participant
    Club Member

many thanks for your advice. Regards Ken

Denman Ken
    Participant
    Club Member

Are the inner and outer track and bearing identical; ie can be fitted in or out?
    Many thanks ken

JAN
    Participant

The inner bearings and tracks are larger than the outers. The bearings and tracks are tapered. The tracks are fitted to match the taper of the bearings so that they can drop in, in other words, thinnest circumferences face outwards.

Denman Ken
    Participant
    Club Member

many thanks. I have removed the outer track as I could get the appropriate drift through the middle of the drum. However the inner track is of a larger diameter and the centre hole of the drum is not large enough to get the required sized drift through to get to the inner track to drift it out. can you advise on the drifting out of this larger inner track?. Many thanks.

JAN
    Participant

A drift. This is a steel, flat-ended circular tool, in this case of a sufficiently small diameter to go through. The track’s inside diameter is less then that of the hub casting, giving a slight edge for the drift to bear against.

Denman Ken
    Participant
    Club Member

Thank you very much Jan for your appreciative advice. I will have to source an appropriate size drift. Thank you again. Kind regards Ken

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.