Home Forums General Technical Help Cleaning the horn button

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mo 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

How do I dismantle the horn button to clean the contacts ?

peteleo
    Participant

End knob is screwed onto the horn button ass’y. Turn the knob CCW to unscrew by holding the base button. . It may well be that the knob is stuck. You may have to apply a little heat.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks…

Mo
    Participant
    Club Member

With regards to this, I am having problems with the horn not working. The switch was brand new when I rebuilt the car and I have cleaned the horn and tested it direct from the battery. I have also by passed the wiring on both the power supply and the switch side but when I press the button it just makes a sort of worble sound. I don’t know how to test the wire from the button end to the connector as a meter bleeps when connected between both ends so assume that there is current running through it.

peteleo
    Participant

There should be a tone adjustment screw that will tune in the diaphragm to the desired decibels. Have someone hold down the horn button and turn the screw slowly CW or CCW.  Attaching the horn directly to the battery is only to test it. Once hooked up to to the car resistance from wiring reduces voltage to the horn. Better yet is to install a relay. Pete

https://englishfordparts.blogspot.com/2016/01/hi-lo-dual-horns.html

Mo
    Participant
    Club Member

Bit late on replying but thanks peteleo,

Is there any chance you might know how to fit a relay in the horn circuit, and also what type of relay would I need.

peteleo
    Participant

I would go on line : How to hook up a horn relay. You tube videos are helpful. 10 amp relay should be efficient for one horn.

Ken B
    Club Member

Just be aware when wiring in your relay, the column switch completes the earth circuit to activate horns currently, in other words the horns are permanently live (unless its been tampered with or altered from original). So to wire in a relay, the earth terminal number 85 on the relay, needs to be via the column switch wire to avoid messing about with the original wiring loom. But you would need to add in three wires.

Terminal 30 fused + feed from battery (new wire)

Terminal 87 + feed to horn(new wire)

Terminal 86 +feed from ignition switch, use the existing current horn live wire Yellow with green tracer.

Terminal 85 Switched/activated earth via original wire  Blue with yellow tracer.

On the horn itself once the relay is wired in, you will need to fit a short wire to earth terminal of the horn to bodywork.

double check the current  horn wire colours, i gleaned these from the tech section wiring diagram. Been a long time since I looked at an Anglia!!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Ken B.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Ken B.

Mo
    Participant
    Club Member

Many Thanks peteleo and KenB, I will give it a try.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.