Home Forums General Technical Help Cortina back plates to Anglia ?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  woz 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ankkalinna
    Participant
    Club Member

Upgrading my 1000 Anglia rearbrakes. 1200 brakes are allmoust impossible to find, so I wonder will the Cortina mk1 rear back plates fitt ? I know brakeshoes are just the same  in Anglia super and Cortina mk1 ( not GT )

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

The technical section of this website  has the ford parts manual, which should give the part number of the super plate, then that gives you something to search for compare with, or ask on a part number on cortina forum. (The cortina mk1 front drum/bearing is the same as the 1200 anglia)

woz
    Participant
    Club Member

Did you have any success with this? I have just bought a pair which I intend to fit in the next few months. The 997 are in good order and I need it to be rolling for a while, so I am not in any hurrry. We can compare notes. My suspicion is the enhlish axle casing is very similar but longer, but the half shafts may be different. The set I am buying have two sets of wheel stud holes, and that may be because they are ex-Cortina – or maybe had different wheels fitted, I dont know yet.

Ankkalinna
    Participant
    Club Member

There were big problems to find original 1200 backplates, I never got any succes.So I decided to use Capri MK1 8″ drums and shoes,
    only two extra holes had to drill to get it fitt to Anglia.Since the original 1000 cc drums are narrow, I had to make centering 7 mm spacers between the drum and drive shaft. Capri and Cortina 8″ drums are same, but Capri has automatic adjustment, and it really works ! Wheel cylinder in 3/4 ” . Now i’m happy with Anglia with Capri rear brakes (and Cortina Mk2 front disc brakes ) .

woz
    Participant
    Club Member

Thank you Ankkalinna – I was coming round to that way of thinking. I have bought thi pair of drum/backplates – apparently the came off an Anglia based kit car but may not be original Anglia. Your project makes me realise I can make it work regardless. Kind regards, Warwick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.