Home Forums General 107E Prefect Disc brakes on a 107E?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Arthur 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Arthur
    Participant

Is it possible to fit disc brakes to a 107E Prefect? I have seen the conversion kit by Milton Race for the 105E, but someone told me Milton were no longer going. Any suggestions?

Confused
    Admin
    Club Member

Milton are definitely still around and going strong, so not sure where you heard that bit of misinformation! We’ve sold a fair few of their disc brake conversions for the 105E.

Someone else may be able to provide some input to the 107E, I assume then it’s not the same front strut/hub as the 105E, which is why the Milton option isn’t applicable?

Website Administrator

Ken B
    Club Member

Pretty sure the strut is different on the backplate mount holes.

Milton is still going.

JAN
    Participant

The mounting holes for the brake backplates do not align with a bracket for the 105E, as Ken states. They aren’t sufficiently displaced to allow welding and drilling. Also, if you fit 105E-ish hubs to the front, you have a stud spacing of 4.25″ p.c.d. so you’d need to do something to the rear, which would remain at 5.5″, or run two different wheel types.

Arthur
    Participant

Thanks for this. Looks like it will be harder than I thought. Is there an alternative strut/hub arrangement that might fit on a 107E, or will I have to make some kind of compromise? My old drum brakes just aren’t sharp enough for when idiots pull out directly in front of me.

JAN
    Participant

None that I know of. The old way was to fit Classic / Capri struts, but these also need the appropriate track control arms, giving a wider track and negative camber. You still have the issue of the wheel stud spacing. Actually, I’ve always found the 107E brakes more than adequate: the MoT tester always commented on the exceptionally high readings. The big advantage of disc brakes is the reduction of fade rather than greater efficiency.

Everything needs to be working as designed, though.

Arthur
    Participant

Thanks. I will abandon the disc brakes idea and focus on making the drum brakes as good as they can be. At least I get to keep the original bits on it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.