Home Forums General General topics Door Lock,drivers side,RHD.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Joe Kearney
    Participant
    Club Member

Hello to all members,I am a new owner of a 1961 105E De luxe,and quite old (84),and I need a drivers side door lock mechanism,as its broken off inside somewhere.Can anyone please tell me where I could obtain one?I have looked around ,but no luck.Appreciate any advice.Thanks Joe.

peteleo
    Participant

Hi Joe,

Do you mean the door latch with the rotary star mechanism. If so, the latch lever spring is broken. In that case, remove the door panel to access the mechanism. Latch is secured by 4 screws.

Joe Kearney
    Participant
    Club Member

Thank you very much Peteleo.Yes,its the rotary one.There is very little access once the panel is removed.How about the door handle,how is that connected on?Also,if it is the spring as you say,are these available?Finally,I read somewhere that 1961 locks changed to a different lock in 1962,is that correct.?
    Much appreciated.Joe.

peteleo
    Participant

There is a rod connected to the interior door handle mechanism to the door latch. Remove the rod to the door latch by removing the cotter pin. After removing the 4 slotted screws the latch ass’y can be removed with a bit of a fuss. It’s a tight fit.
    You will then see the broken ~1″ length spring. Any hardware store will carry one similar size and strength. Don’t fit a heavier duty spring as it will wear out the latch keeper / lever. Grease and oil the brass bushing and any metal connects on door handle.
    There 2 types of 105E latch and striker plates. They are not interchangeable. Most likely you have the early type. Pete

Joe Kearney
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks a lot Pete,for your very detailed information and your time.I will be away until the weekend,and will have a look at the lock when I return.Thanks once again.Joe.

Joe Kearney
    Participant
    Club Member

Pete,I got home this morning,managed to remove the lock,and found that the problem was not a broken spring (40mm long),but the small top piece with the slot to hold the spring had broken off at the narrow bit which is about 6mm wide at that point.Not sure whether it can be welded there or what type of welding and be strong enough for the spring,as its so narrow.Any ideas on that,Pete?The bit going up through the spring is fine.Any advice much appreciated.Joe.

Confused
    Admin
    Club Member

Joe, just a head’s up that your posts are all getting flagged for Moderation (and don’t appear automatically) as the anti-spam plugin here thinks you’re putting links to websites in your post, due to the lack of a space after the full-stop.

Website Administrator

peteleo
    Participant

Hopefully, it’s not a problem on my end.

Joe, It should be fine welding a new section and re-drill a new hole for the spring attachment.
    I did an article on door latches some time ago that may help.
    https://englishfordparts.blogspot.com/2012/06/rotary-star-door-latches.html

Pete

Joe Kearney
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks, Pete, probably my description not clear. Facing the spring fittings, the 40 mm spring and the piece going up through it is fine, as is the rotary. The slotted bottom piece that holds the spring is fine. The small angled top slotted piece that holds the top of the spring, has snapped off where it narrows to about 6mm to a piece going over to the left. Its here I was wondering about getting it welded, and what type of weld. I might need to take a photo, perhaps you might send me your email address if thats OK? The lock is marked WB 3990, which I assume is Wilmot Breeden.

Thanks again, and regards.

Joe

• This reply was modified 3 days ago by Confused. Reason: Removing email address, adding spaces after punctuation
    peteleo
    Participant

Here’s my email: [email protected]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.