Home Forums General 107E Prefect Electric fuel pumps – a cure?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    michaelj70
    Participant
    Club Member

My 107E Prefect has suffered less from fuel vaporisation since a baffle was installed between the carb and exhaust system – but on a warm day it can still be an intermittent problem. I’m thinking of a number of further measures including fitting an electric pump. A thread some 9 years ago recommended a Facet-Purolator 40104 pump. I wonder if anyone can give me an update as to how this has performed? If I do fit an electric pump, it would be good from a ‘looks’ point of view to use the same fuel line and run it through the existing mechanical pump. Would I need to take the valves out of the mechanical pump or just leave the two in series?

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

I fitted the facet pump a few years back, ( to aid starting , as mechanical fuel pump drained back over a few days of rest) . & it does make starting very easy !. The rubber mounting feet reduce the noise, & i can’t hear it at speed. I ordered 2.5psi, but I think mine is 4psi which seems ok, 2.5 psi would be better. I fitted a ford Ka crash cut off switch for piece of mind. Leaving the 2 pumps in series ? Then the fuel will still get warmed by heat from the block, & if the diaphragm in the mech pump fails you won’t know about it until the sump overflows with petrol ( there is a drain hole on the mech pump so it might just run on the stater motor).

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

For Clarity.. I removed the mech pump. Also I never had the fuel vapour lock problem (factory,perhaps 1/4 inch insulator under carb , 84 degree thermost).
    Good luck.

michaelj70
    Participant
    Club Member

Many thanks for the advice. I’ll certainly go ahead and fit an electric pump now. I’ll need to leave the mechanical pump in for the vacuum wipers. Did you run a new petrol feed from the pump at the rear of the car to the carb or did you intercept the feed to the mechanical pump and loop the feed across to the carb?

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

My car is 123e, with electric wipers, so vacuum wipers are beyond my experience. Hopefully others will advise on that point. I fitted the Facet pump at rear near the tank ( I think it has to be low ) , & bridged the gap where the mechanical pump was with a short section of fuel line.

JAN
    Participant

Fuel vaporisation indicate a fault in the fuel the system; an electric pump might eliminate it it if the fault is the pump, or possibly mask it if the fault is elsewhere. I’d suggest the fault is from the tank to the pump outlet, possibly a blockage in the steel pipe or a fault with the flexible hose from the steel pipe into the pump. This was the problem I had and I’ll put the photo in a separate post or this one will be delayed for moderation. Another alternative is a pinhole in the diaphragm or weak valves in the pump itself. But these cars do not normally suffer from fuel vaporisation.

JAN
    Participant

michaelj70
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks folks for all the advice. I bit the bullet and fitted a facet pump and pressure regulator/filter – renewing all the flexible hoses which were very old and thoroughly flushing the metal petrol supply pipe. Also fitted an electric fan which should keep things a bit cooler. So far so good on test drives in some hot weather. Got a longer journey to a car show on Sunday so that will be a good test. Next job is to tackle a leaky gear box rear oil seal………

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.