Home Forums General General topics Engine colour

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Estate Antony 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

sharknose67
    Participant
    Club Member

I’m in the middle of restoring my ’61 Anglia.

The engine is out and before I put it back in the car I would like to sray it in the original factory colour.

Can anyone tell me what the factory colour for GB Fords was?

Johann
    Participant
    Club Member

I think blue, same as used for Ford tractors.  I don’t know the colour code.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

My ’67 Anglia ,  there are traces of black paint on the sump & rocker cover (from the factory), but the block there is no discernable paint .

JAN
    Participant

107E castings were a dark green (I think Small Ford Spares sell it) with the sheet metal parts black. I would have thought that this applied to the Anglia too.

member2617
    Participant

I have seen green, black and grey on 105E engines and boxes, I reckon it could have something to do with where it was built, and maybe when. The grey is a Dove Grey used on Fergie tractors. To be honest I would paint the block either green or grey, would give you half a chance finding a leak.

Ken B
    Club Member

Blue was Fords exchange engines, seen a few of those and my Dad had one in his Corsair. I’ve had several original Anglia cars/vans but there doesn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason to what colour came from where. Dark green or black are the usual engine block/head colours. Never seen an original car with grey. Come across several that have had Uniparts Gold Seal exchange engines, painted gold obviously. Once had a NOS complete crate 997 cc engine and that was all black. Nearly all gearboxes seem to be the dark green though.

sharknose67
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks all for the responses.

I think there is no clear answer to my question.

As there were traces of black on the engine I decided to have it sprayed black.

I will open a topic soon to keep you all posted on the restoration.

woz
    Participant
    Club Member

Good idea. Nobody can argue with that. You can any colour you like as long as it is black. LOL. If some pedant says “ooh thats the wrong colour” then they can tell you what the correct colour is, and you can share it with the rest of us. Happy days all round.

If it helps any, my first two 105e engines were both black until I sprayed one silver with a red ford logo on it. No it doesn’t help does it. I had a blue cortina engine that was blue, but all my others since have been a vague rusty colour with no paint left.
    W:>)

Estate Antony
    Participant
    Club Member

A couple of years ago I saw a very original Anglia with very, very low milage. The engine in that wasn’t painted at all. Just bare cast iron.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.