Home Forums General General topics Engine update to 105E in GB?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ken B 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Ankkalinna
    Participant
    Club Member

<span title=””>Hey !</span> <span title=””>I have often</span> <span title=””>wondered</span> <span title=””>what kind of system</span> <span title=””>is in use</span> <span title=””>in England</span> <span title=””>in terms of</span> <span title=””>changing the</span> <span title=””>engines</span> <span title=””>of cars</span><span title=””>.</span> <span title=””>I have discovered</span> <span title=””>that you can</span> <span title=””>install</span> <span title=””>almost any type of</span> <span title=””>engine</span><span title=””>, although</span> <span title=””>the</span> <span title=””>volume</span> <span title=””>and power are</span> <span title=””>much higher</span> <span title=””>than</span> <span title=””>the original engine</span><span title=””>.</span> <span title=””>Is there a mandatory check by an authority in England, as is the case here in Finland.</span> <span title=””>We have a licensing system that can increase engine power by up to 20% and volume by 20%.</span> <span title=””>If you want to install a more efficient engine, you must apply for permission from the traffic authority.</span> <span title=””>Obtaining a license is difficult.</span> <span title=””>There must be strength calculations and often the manufacturer’s consent to a larger engine.</span>

Ankkalinna
    Participant
    Club Member

Hey ! I have often wondered what kind of system is in use in England in terms of changing the engines of cars. I have discovered that you can install almost any type of engine, although the volume and power are much higher than the original engine. Is there a mandatory check by an authority in England, as is the case here in Finland. We have a licensing system that can increase engine power by up to 20% and volume by 20%. If you want to install a more efficient engine, you must apply for permission from the traffic authority. Obtaining a license is difficult. There must be strength calculations and often the manufacturer’s consent to a larger engine.

member2617
    Participant

At the moment, you can install any kind of engine, until the new regulations come in. Don’t know exactly when that will be but it’s coming. A decent upgrade for the 105E would be a crossflow engine, either the 1300 or 1600. Also a Twin Cam will fit without much trouble. Plus parts for all 3 are easy to get.

Ankkalinna
    Participant
    Club Member

Fortunately, you are lucky because you have such easy rules. In Finland there would be no way to get a twin cam engine for 105 E Ford. Under current regulations. Earlier in the 90’s it was possible to get even a twin cam under the hood, but the regulations became tighter. Even the Cortina 1500 engine is too big, with a couple of cc due to the 20% rule. damn it.

Ken B
    Club Member

At the moment, you can install any kind of engine, until the new regulations come in. Don’t know exactly when that will be but it’s coming. A decent upgrade for the 105E would be a crossflow engine, either the 1300 or 1600. Also a Twin Cam will fit without much trouble. Plus parts for all 3 are easy to get.

What new regulations?

member2617
    Participant

The federation are currently fighting it but they are on about trying to pass the engine swap. I cannot remember it exactly, but it concerns engine swaps, modifications and when they were done. For example, a 350 Chevy in an Anglia, if you could prove it was done 10 years ago, you would have to pay road tax for it, for about 30 years.

Ken B
    Club Member

Got any links to it or which federation are we talking about,  the FBHVC?

member2617
    Participant

Was fbhvc yes, but can’t find it now, will keep looking.

Ken B
    Club Member

Mmm very odd, I do get the FBHVC newsletters, but don’t recall anything like that. The last major thing was all this MoT or not Mot (VHI) business. Cant see nothing in the DoT consultations for the last couple of years either.

JAN
    Participant

It’s news to me too. There was a plan to restrict engine power increases to no more than 20% but it was dropped. I think it was realised that:

1. some contemporary tuning mods would take it above that

2. How the hell do you measure it?

Ken B
    Club Member

It’s news to me too. There was a plan to restrict engine power increases to no more than 20% but it was dropped. I think it was realised that: 1. some contemporary tuning mods would take it above that 2. How the hell do you measure it?

Yea again that was the original part of the VHI thing. Like you say there was no way of policing that, though tbh there is no real way of policing the current in use VHI situation either but thats another argument.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.