Home Forums General Overseas/non UK Ford Anglia 105E – Portugal – leaking oil problem

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated by brianw.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sscontreiras
    Participant

I am Portuguese and as you also have a 105 E Anglia (995 cm3).
    It is a 1962 model purchased used in 1970 and has remained in the family since that date.
    The entire vehicle has undergone a thorough restoration, but there is a problem of a leaking oil gathering that would solve your opinion:
    Between the end of the crankshaft and gearbox the cord asbestos should prevent the passage of oil to the outside proves to be a bad solution technique.

Who has had the same problem and what the solution most effective technique to correct the problem.
    Thank you for your attention to this my subject.

Sérgio

Matt99
    Participant

Hey
    Im Assuming you are meaning the rear main seal that goes around the crankshaft at the back of the engine where the flywheel bolts? I know on some early ford these were a rope type seal sometimes now you can get a rubber seal to replace it but if not a new rope seal should do the job if installed correctly :-) hope this helps
    Matt

Andeh
    Participant

It depends how bad it is leaking? Nearly every single one I’ve seen has the odd drip, they’re not great seals.

sscontreiras
    Participant

Thank you in advance for your contributions on this subject.
    I understand that for models 100 and E series was created even earlier piece aluminum consisting of two half moons to adapt to install the seal in the end of the main bearing.

Sérgio

Matt99
    Participant

Hi Sergio
    Im fairly sure the 105e anglia had a rope type seal according to my book might be worth going to you re local auto parts store or mechanic to see what kind of seal is available now

sscontreiras
    Participant

As I say there is a modern synthetic rubber suitable to replace the old asbestos cord ensuring a better seal and durability.
    This is zero leak oil?

By searching the internet, I believe that the company “Montero sealing & insulation technology” markets these new materials for dynamic seals for use.

This problem of oil leakage, for those who do not know, if it worsens over time, can contaminate the clutch disc forcing replace this.

Wishes for a good weekend

SÉRGIO

Matt99
    Participant

I believe if fitted and sealed correctly yes this should ensure a zero oil leak and fix you re problems.
    Best of luck :-)

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Hi Sergo ,    Did you fix the oil leak? Did you use a modern seal or the standard “rope” type seal ?  And did you change it with the engine in the car of have to take it out ?   Regards Brian.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.