Home Forums General Technical Help HELP How to wire Distributor Points Condenser Etc

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Trevor Foster
    Participant

No spark at Plugs or Points
    Help needed as no spark after fitting new condenser and points, is there a sequence the wires are placed in please.
    its a Lucas distributor.
    Thanks

JAN
    Participant

It takes time for photos to get through; I try to include them as they simplify explanations, but I’ll try to describe the order. For some reason, the Club feels they need to be moderated. Of all the forums to which I belong, this is the only one with this requirement.

The points spring ends in a loop which goes over a (usually white) top hat-shaped insulator at the bottom of the pin over which the loop fits. This is followed by the eyelets of the two wires, one from the condenser and one from the connection to outside the distributor. Then a second white top hat insulator goes over the two eyelets and into the loop in the points spring. Above this is a flat washer and the nut.

The usual mistake is to put the two wires’ eyelets above the top hat insulator. They must be in contact with the spring and insulated from the post.

Trevor Foster
    Participant

Thank you for the reply, I’m a total novice but think I understand now, if photos would help would you email them? thanks
    Email hilltoplofts@yahoo.co.uk

Confused
    Admin
    Club Member

@JAN for some reason, the moderation plugin I used, was not doing what it said it should – which is that once a user has had 1 “Moderated” post (a post which contains a link) approved, that user didn’t get flagged for moderation again! I’ve tried to be pretty quick on keeping on top of approving the posts!

I’ve disabled the plugin – that should mean that posts with pictures or links are visible immediately, hopefully it won’t mean we get too much spam now… :)

Website Administrator

JAN
    Participant

I appreciate your efforts, Confused, and things have certainly altered: previously when posting images, there was a message saying awaiting moderation; now the post disappears completely!

I hate computers!

Confused
    Admin
    Club Member

Doh! :(

Guess I’ll have to spend some time looking into this then!

Website Administrator

JAN
    Participant

There you go, Trevor! Hope it makes sense. It might not be 100% identical to your distributor, but very, very close.

Confused (I sometimes think I should have picked that for a user name!), thanks for that. I thought it was Club policy and couldn’t see why. It was annoying when I replied to a query within an hour, and it took over 24 hours to arrive. I believe this move helps the site and its users, so thanks again.

JAN
    Participant

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.