Home Forums General Technical Help How to seal exhaust manifold to inlet manifold

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated by Tueffti.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tueffti
    Participant
    Club Member

Hi everyone,

can anybody help me in how to seal the exhaust manifold to the inlet manifold?
    I’m talking about the hole in the exhaust manifold, which is obviously used to preheat the petrol mixture while the engine is warming up.

Any help is greatly appeciated.

Greetings from Switzerland, Rolf

JAN
    Participant

There is a plug between the inlet and exhaust manifolds, 9437 in the drawing. You’ll struggle to find one unless someone is prepared to split a pair of spare manifolds.

105eFAN
    Participant
    Club Member

Maybe you could use or modify an engine frost plug, the ones that are punched into the side of the block to suit or get someone to turn one up on a lathe? HTH Ian

Tueffti
    Participant
    Club Member

Hi Ian,

Thanks a lot for the description.
    My intake manifold is already fitted with that plug. I wonder how I have to seal the plug against the exhaust manifold. Just use a little muffler sealant? An extra copper ring will be too thick to fit I think.

Greetings
    Rolf

JAN
    Participant

The plug is a tight fit into the exhaust manifold and should not require additional sealing. Where you might get a problem is sealing the joint between the two manifolds, allowing air to enter the inlet manifold as there is no other seal between them. A smear of exhaust paste here might be advisable.

Tueffti
    Participant
    Club Member

Good to know! I believe my plug sits in the inlet manifold. But no matter, I am going to apply some exhaust paste.

Thanks for the help mate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.