Home Forums General Technical Help lubrication shocks and steering box

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    CHRIS BANTING
    Participant
    Club Member

Obviously the haynes manual has oil types listed, but 50 years on what is the appropriate equivalent to use now please.

Thanks

CHRIS BANTING
    Participant
    Club Member

Anyone throw some light on this? spoke to ford main agent and they basically deny M -100502 -E was ever a part number! looking around other forums it is suggested auto box fluid is a substitute for shock absorber oil?

Thanks

Terry
    Participant
    Club Member

Hi Chris. ATF is what I used for front and rear shocks. For the steering box I would recommend Penrite steering box grease. I removed the old oil with a plastic syringe and a small length of plastic pipe. Replace with grease to the top of the filler plug using the syringe. The grease is semi fluid and avoids any leaks from the steering box.
    Hope this helps.
    Terry.

Ken B
    Club Member

Not sure how you thought a main dealer would help tbh…. but here you go;

If you use Google search, all this sort of stuff comes up. Penrite Oils (amongst other companies) make all sorts of oils/Grease for shock absorbers steering boxes.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/penrite-shock-oil-no2-500ml-ggl9039x.html

Shocker Oil 1

Semi Fluid and Steering Box Lube

Check out out TV’s famous Fuzz Townsend oils website as well
    https://www.classic-oils.net/

CHRIS BANTING
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks Terry and Ken much appreciated.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Im still quite confused about viscosity for steering box oil . The Haynes manual says SAE90 Hypoid . (Same as back axile). The Anglia has the 1950s recirculating balls, which is a better technology than older fixed gear steering boxes, so, Does the thicker Penrite Semi-fluid lube allow the balls to circulate freely?
    I emailed the supplier above, Classicoils.net & got this reply……

“[for a replacement to the SAE90 hypoid oil in a ford anglia ] I’d suggest using the Millers Steering Worm oil for your steering box https://www.classic-oils.net/Millers-Classic-Worm-Steering-Box-Oil … this Steering worm oil is an Extreme pressure oil. ISO 320 is the top end of an SAE90, but it is stringy in a way that oil usually isn’t in order to stick better to slow-moving parts in the steering box.
     If it leaks excessively, the [penrite] semi-fluid will work, but it wouldn’t be my first choice….
    The semi fluid is off the SAE viscosity charts and only pours when it’s warm (and then only slowly). “

Any thoughts ?

Mo
    Participant
    Club Member

I have used a high grade Motor Bike Fork oil in my rear shockers and that seems to work well.

If you look on YouTube there are several that show this being used although the US ones use Harley Davison oil!!!

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

So while wondering about what grade of oil to use in the steering box.. I took the top off , only to find under 3/4 inch of oil , it was full of water ! Any clues where it came from ?

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Perhaps rain gets in through the loose filler plug over the years. Does anyone know where I can buy a new steering box filler plug? & also the tab washers ? thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.