Home Forums General General topics Lucas headlamps

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  member2617 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

CHRIS BANTING
    Participant
    Club Member

Can anyone suggest a supplier for the original fitment lucas headlamp, I rather stick with original spec over halogens. my vehicle is 1967.

thanks

member2617
    Participant

WH Motor Spares might be able to help. Speak to Shane.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

If 1967 , would it be the Sealed Beam units? .. which seem expensive these days.

member2617
    Participant

Ah yes, the Land Rover boys should be able to help with sealed beam units.

CHRIS BANTING
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks Gents – can you be more specific re land Rover boys.

thanks

Ken B
    Club Member

Lucas no longer make sealed beam units. For along time no new sealed beam units were available but via other makers they are once again about mainly with Landrover parts sellers. Your Anglia is fitted with 7″ headlamp units which is a standard fitment to many 60’s 70’s and 80’s cars and of course including the good old Landrover 90 110 etc etc.
    H4 halogen units are of course are the better thing to have these days, but if you really want to stick with sealed beam units then I suggest you look on ebay.
    You will need to make sure the sealed beams have the facility to use the sidelight bulb which on your 67 is most likely part of the headlight unit rather than being on the front panel or part of the indicator unit as on the earlier cars. In the case of a sealed beam they usually have a small round clear window for the sidelight to shine through.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Ken B.

JAN
    Participant

Do you get a feeling of deja vu here, Ken?

We actually had this anorak discussion on the Lakes Tour two weeks ago!

Ken B
    Club Member

lol yes Jim I think we did.

Of course I forgot to mention the classic Mini as well probably the most famous UK car to use 7″ headlights and all of those had their sidelights in the headlight. But I doubt they would favour sealed beams tbh.

I, being a little bit OCD wanted headlamps in my Corsair with Lucas written on them, eventually found a pair but they are halogen conversions. Apparently even the brand new Lucas headlamps here dont have Lucas on them anymore, which suggests they are nothing but a reboxed item from another maker.

You can get 7″ Lucas branded headlight in red boxes that come from India, but they’re not cheap and not “E” marked either which technically to the letter of the sales law is bending it slightly, but they are for left side of road use!

Who’d have thought it was such a complex subject lol

woz
    Participant
    Club Member

I may have some. I will look in my shed later ? cheers Warwick

woz
    Participant
    Club Member

Sorry Chris, only found one and it has rust flakes rolling around inside. Havent tested it yet, but probably no good for your purposes. Warwick

CHRIS BANTING
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks for looking Warwick.

Ken B
    Club Member

member2617
    Participant

If you ring h bowers up, there’s a small chance it will be cheaper…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.