Home Forums General Technical Help New Battery Needed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Cliff Adams
    Participant
    Club Member

Hello all,

Just some advice. I need to replace the battery in my 1961 Anglia (997cc)- negative earth. I see that “type 037” is the usual recommended battery type but my car has had an alternator conversion so I’m wondering if “Type 037” is still the one to get or do I need another with slightly more power?

Many thanks
    Cliff

JAN
    Participant

The battery is not dependent on dynamo or alternator charging. What it is dependent on is the position of the terminals relative to the car body and length of cables; otherwise you can fit any battery which fits in the space.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Halfords batteries come with a 3 year warrantee , but I found they argue alot if you try to get it replaces when it fails at 2 years 10 months ( “–you’ve been using it/not using it/under charging it/over charging it etc etc” ) Which brands have folk had good success with?

Cliff Adams
    Participant
    Club Member

Ah ok – thanks for that. It was just that I found the following on the technical page: “After all of this blurb, the one question you want the answer to is: “Which battery shall I use in my Anglia / Prefect”

Unfortunately there is no one answer for this. If you are running a standard Anglia / Prefect then a typical battery (12 volt, 38 ampere hour) known as a Type 037 is your best bet.

If you are running an alternator or a larger engine then make sure you have a battery to suit your particular situation.”

So, I thought, as I’m running an alternator I might need one more powerful than a Type 037????

JAN
    Participant

No, a 12V battery puts out 12V; all the size means is that it will put this out for a longer or shorter period. Likewise, a dynamo and alternator charge 12V batteries at a slightly higher voltage (14.2V +/-0.2V in the case of an alternator), but ultimately, a 12V battery is a 12V battery and will do the job.

Cliff Adams
    Participant
    Club Member

Great. Thanks for the advice! I’ll just go with the recommended 037 type then.

Cliff Adams
    Participant
    Club Member

As an extra – if there are any batteries (037) that any of you guys recommended please let me know. The one I have in my car at the moment is too high so I was unable to use the original securing clamp. If there are any batteries out there that you know are good and the right size I’d be interested to find out!!!

Cheers

member2617
    Participant

Yuasa, but check your local motor factors, not bloody halfrauds.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.