Home Forums General Technical Help Petrol seeping under carb.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Joe Kearney
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks very much to members for previous good advice.

I notice a slight leak under the Zic3 carb of my 1961 997cc. I am not sure what the arrangement is under the carb as regards gaskets. It looks like a paper gasket next to the manifold with a thick gasket of about 1/4 inch above it next to the carb, thats perhaps wrong.

Who knows the corect arrangement under the carb, and where I can get these new gaskets? Or what is the part number of the thick gasket? The thick gasket looks like an insulating piece to lessen the manifold heat, but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks again Joe.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Confused. Reason: Adding spaces after full stops
    Confused
    Admin
    Club Member

Joe, yet again you have a post being held for moderation because of your continued lack of adding a space after a full stop.

Website Administrator

Joe Kearney
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks for that. If this does not suit, then I will not post any more queries on the forum. Joe.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Confused.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Confused.
    Confused
    Admin
    Club Member

Joe, you are definitely welcome (and encouraged) to post on the forum.

However, to ensure that you get the quickest possible responses, I am trying to tell you why your posts are getting held for moderation – every single post you have made so far has required manual intervention from me to allow it to be visible.

I can’t (and won’t) be disabling this spam protection – it has legitimately prevented some spam posts from being made public and putting our Members at risk.

We want your queries and questions, and there are people who are willing and able to respond – but only when they can see them! Additionally, not only does the “space after a full stop” prevent this spam protection from kicking in, it also makes your posts much more readable once they are broken up into distinct sentences, and paragraphs too.

Website Administrator

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Hi Joe Kearney . in my case there is only the heat thick insulating gasket between the carb & the Manifold. Paper here is mainly to stop air leaks in .. If fuel is appearing here , could be a leak from else where ? . Perhaps the Needle valve leaking & flooding the carb after the engine is stopped ,( the fuel pump spring keeps the needle valve presurised after engine stopped & this can flood the carb) ? Or other gaskets in the carb .

Hi Confused . Good to know adding a space after a full stop is a good way of proving humanity . Good Work . The last thing we want is a Spammer in the Works . Brian .

JAN
    Participant

Joe, we and you are using English and English grammar is there for a reason; to make the written word understandable and not open to misinterpretation. I have in a former life refused to accept students’ assignments for this, often but not always in text speak. Others arrived with no separation of sentences: no full stops and no spaces so they became impossible to read or understand. Some students were very unhappy at this and some bordered on aggressive, but my advice was and is, if you’re going to use a language, use it as intended. It is for you to get your meaning across, not for others to decipher it.

Joe Kearney
    Participant
    Club Member

Thank you so much, Brianw. Your continued help is much appreciated. I removed the carb,cleaned it,and fitted a new needle valve. There had been a paper gasket under the insulating gasket,so I removed that,and just left the thick insulating gasket there,as you have on your car. Took the car for a run,and no leak now, so that is fixed. Thanks again.
    Jan,as I had said before,if my queries or comments fail to meet your standards, I will no longer post anything on the forum.I suppose you assumed that English was my first language,sorry,my first language is the Irish language,and perhaps at 85 years old next month,English is not in my daily use.If I ever need a lecture on the use of English Grammer,I will book a place at a College nearby.Joe.

Confused
    Admin
    Club Member

Joe, we are trying to inform you as to why your comments here are not getting published automatically, and immediately.

We are not trying to get at you. I didn’t assume English was your first language. I am simply telling you why, on this forum, it is important to add spaces after a full stop, if you want your posts to be visible and to get a prompt response to your questions.

Are you telling me that in Irish, it is not common to add a space after punctuation? If so, then I shall add that to my “random facts” bank, as it’s not something I have encountered before in my previous exposure to other languages in my 25+ years on the internet. :)

Website Administrator

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Hi Joe. Glad you fixed the carb, happy motoring.

JAN
    Participant

Thank you so much, Brianw. Your continued help is much appreciated. I removed the carb,cleaned it,and fitted a new needle valve. There had been a paper gasket under the insulating gasket,so I removed that,and just left the thick insulating gasket there,as you have on your car. Took the car for a run,and no leak now, so that is fixed. Thanks again.
    Jan,as I had said before,if my queries or comments fail to meet your standards, I will no longer post anything on the forum.I suppose you assumed that English was my first language,sorry,my first language is the Irish language,and perhaps at 85 years old next month,English is not in my daily use.If I ever need a lecture on the use of English Grammer,I will book a place at a College nearby.Joe.

German is not my first language, but when I write it I try to be grammatically correct. Basically, you’re asking people for assistance but entirely on your terms. If you can’t be bothered to write correctly I can’t be bothered to read it.

Confused
    Admin
    Club Member

And now, because I didn’t correct Joe’s post that JAN quoted, JAN’s reply got flagged for moderation too… It’s a knock-on effect.

Website Administrator

Joe Kearney
    Participant
    Club Member

I want to thank BrianW not only for his time and effort in replying to this issue,but to say how helpful his other posts on the Forum have been to me. I know little about the mechanics of the Anglia 105E,just that I owned the van version of it back in the 1960s,when I lived and worked in London. When I saw this for sale it brought back memories.( I even slept in it a few times at the seaside at Littlehampton!).
    Since then its mostly P4 Rovers,VW Karman Ghias etc. that occupy my time. Thanks again Brianw. Joe.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks Joe, I too have learned, & continue to learn, a lot from this forum. And most of that from JAN & a few others who between them hold a huge amount of knowledge about the Anglia’s engineering .. My experience is mostly around the day to day maintenance problems I have encountered along the road. For the serious stuff, once it gets above the ½ inch spanner I know very little.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.