Home Forums General General topics Prefect 107E rear axle drive pinion oil seal replacement

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ken B 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

tonyee
    Participant

Hi I need to replace the drive pinion oil seal on my 107E rear axle. The axle is off the car and I have emptied the oil and removed the four bolt flange from the prob. I have also removed the 8 x nuts holding the housing on but can’t seem to get the housing off. Is there something I am doing wrong or do I just need to percivere. It does move away from the studs all the way round but won’t lift off. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Tony

JAN
    Participant

Are the half shafts still in? If so, that’s why the diff unit won’t come out.

Why are you removing the diff? There’s no reason to do this if you’re just changing the seal, or is there another reason?

Before moving the pinion nut, it is essential to mark the nut and the shaft – not just the pinion – so that the nut is tightened back to exactly the same point as previously. If you over-tighten it, you will irreparably buckle the collapsible spacer, and you need special gauges – and skills – to set up a new one.

Ken B
    Club Member

There is a how to in the technical section which shows you how to do this with the diff in situ.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.