Home Forums General Technical Help To rebuild or not to rebuild that is the question!!!

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by JAN.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mo
    Participant
    Club Member

I have a 997cc Anglia DeLuxe. It poodles along a 50mph quite happily and will reach 60 if pushed. When it gets to hills or inclines it starts too slow.
    I have checked the compression on each cylinder and it ranges from 140 to 130 also the oil pressure when running is a steady 40psi.
    My question is: should I consider a rebuild and if so would it make much difference.

JAN
    Participant

People get it wrong about compression tests. The main issue is that all compressions are within ten percent of the highest, which is the case here. The figures are a bit down, but not enough to cause me concern.

Is the engine making knocking or rattling noises? Do oil fumes pump strongly from the oil filler with the cap off and engine idling? If no to both, I see little point in a rebuild.

Bear in mind that you have only 39 b.h.p. to play with so it won’t be any ball of fire. You might want to make sure the ignition timing is right (10 degrees btdc) as retarded timing will drastically reduce power output. But from what you say, a rebuild would be a lot of money for no real gain.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

40psi oil pressure is fine too. Timing .. also failing of vacuum advance can rob you of full throttle power. even a split in the rubber pipe connectors

JAN
    Participant

Yes, meant to mention the oil pressure!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.