Home Forums General 107E Prefect Vacuum wipers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi got a problem with my vacuum wipers they work without the wipers off but not on without being pushed the prefect had been dry stored since 2009 so not sure if it’s because they have not been used any ideas much appreciated thanks

JAN
    Participant

The wipers are generally reliable, most problems being with the vacuum system. Check the hose from the pump to the motor, but the usual main culprit is the fuel pump, and many of these have been bypassed. Using a length of rubber hose between the pipe from the manifold and the pipe to the motor should tell you the fuel pump’s condition. The motor, if that is the problem, usually responds to a spray of WD40 into the vacuum connection. Also, make sure the valve is opening fully.

Hi unfortunately I found the leak on the metal seal on the Paddle spindle Have tried to seal it so I will see tomorrow If it works is there any way I could possibly change it to a electric motor thanks again and much appreciated

JAN
    Participant

I use the complete motor and linkage assembly from an old-style Mini, preferably the square motor type, but the round motor will fit with more of a struggle; the wheel boxes are bigger. It is necessary to shorten the tube between the wheelboxes, the amount isn’t critical as you don’t need to re-flare the cut tube. You’ll need a block of some sort, about three to four inches high for the motor to stand on.

Hi Firstly I would like to thank you for your help Just bypass the pump as you mentioned in t last message and the wipers are now working fine
    Do I need to fit a tee peace because I had already A pipe under the carburettor to the Pump? Plus do I need to blank off the old pipe on the pump which when to the wipers thanks again much appreciated

JAN
    Participant

Just leave it as is with the pump out of the circuit; don’t worry about its connections but leave them open. The problem you will have is that the wipers’ speed will be entirely dependent on throttle position, and will stop entirely at full throttle, e.g. when climbing hills. This is why I have the Mini electric wipers.

100Es had a reservoir tank which allowed the wipers to continue for a short period, measured in seconds, at wide throttle openings but they didn’t have the combined fuel / vacuum pump. You could fit a tank if you find one, along with the one-way valve, but you’d be better going electric.

Hi thanks for your response I was just wondering if I fitted a tee piece the and blank off the old connection on the pump it would be served by both so when climbing hills It wouldn’t be a problem or would it ? Thanks much appreciate

JAN
    Participant

Or it would leak air into the inlet manifold, which is probably what it was doing before.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

How was it connected in the factory ? Manifold & vacuum pump with a Tee both sucking the wipers ? ( & guess, one way valve to stop pump sucking from the manifold on full throttle ?) or Manifold sucking through the Vacuum Pump to the Wiper, thus giving which ever vacuum is strongest?

JAN
    Participant

Srr the photo in the answer to ‘Carburettor’.

brianw
    Participant
    Club Member

Thanks JAN, Vacuum wipers are a nice idea, shame less than perfect . Vauxhall Velox 1940s tried driving them off the camshaft, but that went out of fashion too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.